Tuesday, January 13, 2009


For the longest time I had wondered what in the world a blog was. Well here I am now creating one yet still the word blog boggles me. I am hoping this will give me the opportunity to share some of my exploits, misadventures, minor epics and aimless wanderings with those closest to me. As I sit here with eyes crossing staring at the screen I am listening to the South China Sea's ebbing high tide lap against the rocks and creamy dreamy sands outside my flat in the small town of Mui Wo. Personally I like to call it (as a friend of mine coined) Mui WOW! If you ever make it out this way I think you'll understand why.

I arrived here in Hong Kong September 5, 2008. Eagerly looking forward to a short working stint. With only a one-way ticket I was accepting the unexpected, as I often times do. The months preceeding Honkers found me in the middle of Colorado gallavanting through the Rockies with orphans from Chicago and Baton Rouge. On one of these adventures the rains seemed to never cease. We had been tent bound for 2 days, when on the 3rd day I had had enough of the tent sores, similar to bed sores but we had no lavish beds, and set out to find the perfect zip line set up. I discovered a boulder gully 150 feet wide and went to work with the webbing and ropes. After an hour I had created a backcountry zip line. Testing it first with my pack, then being the live guinea pig stepped off the edge. The tension was just right to maintain forward momentum at speeds bordering nutzo, yet the slack, perfect for a soft slow down to the top of a boulder the size of a hobbit hut. So in the drizzling rain I ran to fetch the 9 boys from Chicago. We spent the rest of the day taking turns yipping and screaming, flying and zipping across the boulder field 20 feet below. I doubt OSHA would have been satisfied, but what do they know about backcountry hooligans partaking in some shenanigans.

Returning from that trip I had a phone call that changed my course. A small experiential educational organization based in Hong Kong rang me up. We spoke and after 45 minutes was offered a job in the most densely populated area in the world. Just a small change from living on Cross Creek outside Minturn, CO. With South East Asia now at my fingertips, I bought that one-way flight crossed the Pacific and didn't look back. I told friends I'd be gone anywhere between 3 months and 3 years. And so began my wanderings in Asia, and getting paid to boot!

3 comments:

  1. Spoken like a true romantic! Written like a frustrated writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it all and it's a pity you didn't update your blog since Jan. 2009... You surely have a lot of amazing things to write about. But some of us are too busy living the life to spend hours writing about it on blogs. I prefer to write on the walls of toilets, where more people will see it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow man you sound like Jack Kerouac or something... I dig your writing style. You really should renew your blog if you have the time.

    ReplyDelete